Table of Contents of AfterShock: What To Do When the Doctor Gives You — or Someone You love — a Devastating Diagnosis
Chapter 1: In Shock
- I'm Stunned....
- What is Happening to Me?
- Common Reactions
- Commonsense Help for Getting Through the First 48 Hours
Chapter 2: Get Acquainted with Your Disease and Its Treatment
- Why Do You Need to Know Basic Facts about Your Condition and its Treatment?
- How Much Information Do You Need?
- Taking the Basic Approach
- Taking the Comprehensive Approach
- Judging the Information Behind the Answers
- A Short Note about the Internet
Chapter 3: Involve Others
- Telling Others
- Involving Families
- Getting a Little Help from Friends and Family
Chapter 4: Find the Right Doctors and Hospitals
- Find Out More about Your Doctor or Not?
- Common Questions
- Ideas from Physicians about Finding the Right Doctors
- Six Things That Doctors Want Patients to Know About Doctors
- Your Strategy for Finding the Right Doctor
- Are You Choosing among Hospitals?
Chapter 5: Gather Opinions about Your Diagnosis and Treatment
- Why Should I Consider Seeking Additional Opinions about My Condition?
- Under What Circumstances Should I Definitely Seek Additional Expert Opinions?
- How Should I Approach Gathering Expert Opinions?
- How Do I Tell My Doctor I Want to Get Another Opinion?
- How Do I Actually Go about Getting Additional Opinions?
- How Do I Make Sense of What I Learn?
Chapter 6: Get Timely Care
- A Few Facts You Should Know...
- What Scheduling Staff and Physicians Say about Urgent Consultations and Taking on New Patients
- Making Appointments: What Do You Say?
- Taking Along a Partner
- The Right Information about You at the Right Place at the Right Time
- Now Is the Time to Learn a Little About Privacy and Informed Consent
Chapter 7: What about Work?
- To Work or Not to Work?
- How Can My Employer Be Helpful?
- What Do Human Resources Experts Advise about How to Maximize the Benefit of Your Benefits?
- How will My Co-Workers Be Affected by My Condition?
Chapter 8: Pay for Care
- The Three Things You Need to Know about Your Health Plan / Health Insurance Right Now
- Rules of Thumb for Making Use of Your Health Benefit
- Taking Care of Business
Chapter 9: Find a Little Relief
- Where Can You Find Some Relief?
- Maintain a Routine
- Seek Distraction
- Relax Physically
- Read and Write
- Explore or Affirm Spirituality
- Talk to Others Facing a Similar Challenge
- Join a Support Group
- Make Use of Complementary Medicine
- Seek Counseling
- What about Family Support?
Chapter 10: Take Your Next Steps
- Want to Make God Laugh? Tell Him Your Plan.
- How Do I Make Decisions about Treatment?
- What Do You Need to be Able to Function?
- Thoughts on How to Keep Moving
- Reflections on Taking the Next Steps